Sunday, Oct 20, 2019 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The University of California, Riverside (UCR) seeks applications for an innovative and dynamic librarian to work collaboratively to support the scholarly and research activities of UCR faculty, researchers, and students. The Innovative Media Librarian will be responsible for providing outreach and consultation for media and maker projects. The incumbent will work within the Research Services (RS) Department (particularly with the Maker Services Coordinator), and collaboratively with staff and departments across the library.
Reporting to the Director of Research Services (RS) in the Research and Instructional Services Division, the Innovative Media Librarian will work collaboratively to support the scholarly and research activities of UCR faculty, researchers, and students by developing specialized research and instructional partnerships; building innovative media and maker services; and providing general research support and outreach.
● Utilizes media and maker technologies and methods in support of research and instructional applications, with an emphasis on digital fabrication and/or virtual reality
● In collaboration with the Maker Services Coordinator (and other library colleagues as appropriate), utilizes and supports the continued success of the Creat’R Lab, a makerspace located in the Orbach Science Library
● Proactively seeks out and develops opportunities for research and instructional partnerships with faculty and academic units on campus, effectively deploying technical, scholarly, and project management skills to bring projects to completion
● Offers workshops and training on digital media and/or maker methods or tools
● Helps plan and participates in special events (for example, a showcase, maker faire, or hackathon)
● Advocates for sharing digital outputs (for example, publishing STL files produced through a 3D modeling project) and advises on open research and reproducibility applications
● Initiates and leads special projects; for example, developing a robust technology lending program or piloting a mobile media/maker cart that can be used to take media technologies beyond the library
● In collaboration with the Digital Scholarship Librarian and Digital Initiatives Specialist (and other library colleagues as appropriate), advises on developing spaces to support digital media and scholarship
● Maintains knowledge and practical expertise in digital media and making, including suggesting how new ideas and services can be applied to the local environment
● Provides research support as part of the Research Services librarian team (consultations, workshops, chat reference, and other departmental and librarywide collaborations)
● Promotes the UCR Library’s media and maker services and other research support activities
● Collaborates on research services projects with library colleagues across the organization, including Teaching and Learning, Digital Initiatives, Metadata, Preservation, Collection Strategies, and Special Collections & University Archives
● Participates in library-wide activities, administrative committees, special projects and library programs; represents the UCR Library on University of California standing committees and ad-hoc groups, as assigned